So, I started a new-well I may jinx myself into quitting it.
Torysay (Pig Latin)
I have two main characters, Leila and Lilith. They are fraternal twins, and have just moved in to an old bed and breakfast, where their parents are opening a new one. They may just find out a few secrets about their new home...
Both girls love paranormal things and are most active during the night, just as I am. I chose Lilith's name before even coming up with her personality, and the same for Leila. (That's pronounced LAY-luh, not LEE-luh or LY-luh) I chose Lilith because I love that name (if that name is familiar to you, and you know why, just know that I am not demented.), and I chose Leila because, well, not sure. Maybe I chose it before Lilith, maybe it was for alliteration. I don't know. I don't even like the name. Usually I detest names that start with 'L' (Mine is an exception, it's like it's different from everything else.), especially flowery names (Lilith has a pet name-Lilie-which she despises) and girly names. Lily and Leila were the worst offenders. Sorry, I just don't like the images of bouncy flower petals or soft detergent. Like my name, Lilith is different. Maybe it's different to me because it means something horrible. Something that's not flowery. That it's not worthy of being among the naming suggestions of the main character of a mushy chic-flick.
Now, for the name meanings:
Lilith- I knew the meaning of this one was 'night hag', but online I found that it also meant 'one of the night'.
Leila- 'Night beauty' online, 'Night' in the book where I first found 'Lilith'.
Now this made me laugh. Compare one of the two meanings from each name.
Leila- Night beauty
Lilith- Night hag
Whoops. I did not intend to hint that one was beautiful and one was a 'hag'. I just thought I'd say that in case someone did their etymology research.
Now, why would you think me demented for loving the name 'Lilith'? Apparently it's the name of a demon in many cultures. In the book I found it in, it reads:
"Arab. "Ghost, night demon." The Old Testaments translation refers to her as 'the night hag." She was supposed to descend on sleepers and suck their blood. Connotations of the name are so fearsome that it is rarely used."
Okay, so I sorta got the meanings messed up, but it (night hag) is another name. Anyways, you get the point-the name may seem a bit evil.
Sorry if now hate me (Pshh, as if you didn't already after that Hitler post.), but I like this name. It actually fits me.
No comments:
Post a Comment